Updated: Apr 2
1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1 Tsp Sunflower oil
2 Tbsp Corn flour
2 Tbsp of cooking oil to cook the chicken
5-6 Dried Chilis
100 g cashew nuts
2 Tbsp of cooking oil to fry the chilis and cashew nuts
1 clove garlic
1 Bell peppers
50 g sugar snap peas
3 Stalks of spring onion
2-3 Tbsp oyster sauce
1 Tbsp Thai Chilli paste
1 Pot of stir-fry sauce
1-1.5 Tsp sugar
A little warm water
1. Cut the chicken into medium sized, roughly uniform pieces. Add the marinade ingredients. Add 1-2 Tbsp of Chinese rice wine or dry sherry if available.
2. Cube the onion. Baton the bell pepper. Chop the garlic. Cut the spring onions using the width of 3 of your fingers as a guide.
3. Use 2 Tbsp oil to fry the dried chillies until they are fragrant. Then fry the cashew nuts. Keep them moving and don’t let them burn. Drain them and leave them aside. Keep a little of the oil you used for the stir-fry.
4. Using a new pan, add 2 Tbsp of oil. Add the marinated chicken and cook until they are lightly golden and cooked through. Drain and leave aside.
5. Heat up a new pan – or use the same pan used for the chilis and nuts – with the flavoured oil you kept. Add onion and stir-fry for 20-30 seconds.
6. Add garlic, bell peppers and sugar snap peas. Stir-fry for 20-30 seconds.
7. Add 2/3 of the oyster sauce, stir-fry.
8. Add stir-fry sauce, stir-fry.
9. Add Thai Chilli paste, stir-fry.
10. Add 1 Tsp of sugar first (if not sweet enough for you, you can add more later).
11. Add back the cooked chicken. Coat all the chicken with the sauce.
12. Add a little bit of water, around 1-2 Tbsp, depending on consistency. We want it sticky not wet. If you want more sauce, and the remaining oyster sauce here too.
13. Add back the fried chillies and cashew nuts.
14. Add the spring onion.
15. Fold the ingredients together and it’s ready to be served.