Updated: Apr 2
I made beef massaman today. I slow cooked my diced beef for at least 2.5 hours so they are very soft. I used LOTUS Massaman curry paste which gave great taste and fantastic colour. Check out my recipe here
Slow Cooked Beef
500 g Diced Beef
1 TBSP Lotus Massaman Curry Paste
400ml Coconut Milk
50-60g Lotus Massaman Curry Paste
400 ml Coconut Milk
4-5 Baby Potatoes
3 Star Anise
2 Tbsp Peanuts
5 Cardamom pods
1/2 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 Tsp Fish Sauce
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/2Tbsp Palm Sugar
1 -2 Tsp Tamarind paste
1. 3 hours before making curry, Simmer diced of beef (500g) with low heat. 400 ml of coconut milk + 1 TBSP curry paste. Leave it to simmer when we are cooking Massaman. If you make this with chicken, you will cook chicken breast with coconut milk until they are completely cooked and leave them aside.
2. Parboil potatoes from cold water bring up to the boil and leave at gentle heat for 2-3 minutes. leave them aside
3. Heat oil in the saucepan over a high heat. Add curry paste and fry until it is fragrant.
4. Reduce the heat to medium and add 300 ml of coconut milk. Cook until you see the oil split (around 5- 10 minutes).
5. Add peanuts, star anise, Crushed cardamom pods, and ground cinnamon. Reduce heat to low, cover pan with lid for 2-3 minutes.
6. Add potatoes, onions, tomatoes and leave for 2-3 minutes
7. Add salt, 1/2 fish sauce, Tamarind, and palm sugar.
8. Add the slow-cooked beef with cooking sauce in the sauce pan (Starting from 1 laddle) Add the rest of coconut milk. Leave for 3-5 minutes or Add cooked chicken at this point.
9. Taste the curry and add more salt, if needed. Turn off the heat and serve.